THIS IS PART 2 TO MY PREVIOUS POST:
You can click the title above to read my first post, as this one specifically deals with how to lead your heart, not why we should. It is important to know the WHY before the HOW.
So, STOP right now – & go read that if
you haven’t yet, then come back & read
Our hearts were never designed to be followed, but to be led.
Our hearts were never designed to be gods in whom we believe; they were designed to believe in God.
- If we make our hearts like gods that we follow & ask them to lead us, they will lead us down a selfish path that only ends in misery & disappointment.
- Your emotions, what you FEEL will not lead you or save you. This is because the issue with our hearts – is that our hearts left to their own devices are the problem.
Let not your hearts be troubled, just believe in your hearts. He said, Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.
DON’T FOLLOW YOUR HEART – FOLLOW JESUS.
HOW TO LEAD YOUR HEART:
1. CHECK your heart.
A key to leading your heart is to constantly be aware of where it is. Where is your heart today?
- Start by looking at your calendar & bank account… Think about where you are investing your time? Where are you investing your money?
- Wherever you invest, is how you know what you value.
- You may think you value God, you may think you value the things of God – but does your life & investments follow that belief?
Just because something feels or seems true or right – it doesn’t mean it is.
2. FOLLOW God’s Word.
It is so easy to follow your emotions instead of the TRUTH of God. We can find what the truth is by reading | experiencing | & learning what God says in His word!
- God’s truths are unchanging & relevant for every aspect of our lives.
- If our heart or emotions are leading us to do something that is contrary to God’s Word, God’s Word should overrule it every time.
- When you follow Gods word over what you think or feel – you will produce good things!
- Many times, we don’t like what is being produced in our life… & yet we do not deal with the real issue. Your heart will lead your mouth – what comes out of you is in you!
The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, & the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
- There is not ONE scenario where the truth & the bible is not relevant.
- For EVERY situation God has an answer & a direction for us that is BEST!
2 TIMOTHY 3:16-17
All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
LEADING YOUR HEART BECOMES POSSIBLE – WHEN WE FOLLOW THE TRUTH.
3. GUARD your heart.
When something unhealthy tempts your heart, it is your responsibility to guard it against temptation.
Build walls around yourself with the TRUTH of God & follow the ways He leads you! God’s Spirit lives inside us and will guide us according to His plan, but we must learn to listen to Him.
Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.
- I’ve recently been making a big effort to try to listen to God – even in my smallest decisions.
- As we learn to hear God’s voice, you will find a perfect peace in knowing that we are following His plan & His plan is ALWAYS better!
Instead of following our heart (leaning on our own understanding), we must instead lead our heart to trust God & His plan for us.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
You will seek me & find me when you seek me with all your heart.
AT TIMES, THERE ARE THINGS THAT LEAD OUR HEART – THAT SHOULD HAVE NO AUTHORITY IN OUR LIFE.
4. DIRECT your heart.
We do not often do this, & we really need to… if we want to have a life that reflects God & actually WORKS!!
- Our thoughts & desires should be led by our treasure, by what is most important in life – Which is hopefully your relationship with God.
- Directing your heart can only happen when you lead it with the truth.
When we direct our hearts & let God take the lead… WE FIND PEACE, like never before.
& let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. & always be thankful.
Your heart will follow whatever you pour your time, talent & treasure into.
5. INVEST in your heart.
We CANNOT wait until you FEEL like doing the right thing in your marriage | in your job | in your personal life. (IT WILL BE TOO LATE) & most likely you will never FEEL like doing the right thing!
- So we must CHOOSE to do the right thing RIGHT NOW! This is possible when you are investing your time & energy into what is healthy.
- By having wise counselors & Gods voice as your #1 teacher, you will begin to win over & over… the results will speak for themselves.
- Investing in your heart is not giving it what it wants. Many times, investing in your heart means not giving it what it wants.
The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but he who heeds counsel is wise.
- We normally tend to think we’re right, even when we’re wrong.
- One of the best ways to find the truth is to seek the advice of wise counselors.
- I have found that USUALLY WHEN I FEEL JUSTIFIED TO DO, SAY, OR FEEL SOMETHING – IT ISN’T RIGHT!
I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. & may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, & how deep his love is.
- If you pour much of your time into Facebook & Twitter, your thoughts & emotions will be there.
- If your talent and energy are focused completely on your job, a big part of you will reside there as well.
- If your treasure is used to accumulate cars, boats, & other stuff, that’s where your desires & affections will be.
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
IT TAKES STRENGTH TO DO SOMETHING YOU DON’T FEEL LIKE DOING.
IT TAKES TRUST TO DO THE RIGHT THING, WHEN IT DOESN’T FEEL GOOD.
IT TAKES FAITH TO KNOW THAT GOD WILL WORK THINGS OUT – EVEN WHEN YOU DON’T FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT IN YOUR HEART.